Old 11-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Robert wrote:
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message

If you want real lime, try a builder's merchant, especially one

who
sells lime mortars.

Builder's lime is a different thing altogether and is inactive on

the
garden.

That is quite incorrect. Builders' lime is Calcium Hydroxide,

known
as "slaked lime" It is an alkaline material which is very

frequently
used to treat acid soil.

[snip]

Franz

ps Slaked lime is not builder's lime, slaked lime is gardeners'

lime.
Builders' lime is hydrated lime. So we are as one even though we
didn't know it lol. Merry Christmas Franz

Surely this can't be right? Calcium hydroxide is calcium hydroxide,
whether you call it hydrated lime or slaked lime. You can't use
gardeners' lime to make mortar, but I thought that was just because
the builder's version was "sharper", by virtue of being fresher and
so not as thoroughly slaked. But you can certainly use builders' lime
in the garden, though it washes out, and isn't safe for the skin by
any means (it kills slugs): I'd use ground chalk or limestone.

Have I been labouring under a serious misapprehension?

Mike.