Old 11-12-2004, 10:06 PM
hugh

In message , Phil L
writes
backy wrote:
:: My garden looks like a pub car park. I live in a terraced house
:: with no rear access so removing the huge patio would be grim. Is it
:: feasable to turf concrete or does anyone have any other ideas? (I
:: hear decking is out of fashion?!) There is a drop from the back
:: door to the patio so I have about a foot to play with.
:: Thank you!

Yes, it's perfectly feasable to turf over concrete and I have done it
sucessfully numerous times, all you need to do is provide drainage...hire a
breaker or employ a young person with a sledgehammer and break up the
concrete all over, you want a cracked ice effect if possible or a rubble
effect better still, you don't need to lift the concrete out, cover with an
inch of sand and a few inches of soil and lay turf as normal...it may dry
out quite easily in summer, use a sprinkler or leave a hosepipe running
overnight.

Before you start adding top soil check the position of your damp course.
That foot drop may be there for a good reason.
--
hugh