Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Robert" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:
: :
: : If you want real lime, try a builder's merchant, especially

one
: who
: : sells lime mortars.
:
: Builder's lime is a different thing altogether and is inactive

on
: the
: garden.
:
: That is quite incorrect. Builders' lime is Calcium Hydroxide,

known
: as "slaked lime" It is an alkaline material which is very

frequently
: used to treat acid soil.
:
: [snip]
:
: Franz

ps Slaked lime is not builder's lime, slaked lime is gardeners'

lime.
Builders' lime is hydrated lime

You have your knickers in a twist. {:-((
The process of slaking quicklime is the process by which it is
hydrated.
Quicklime is calcium oxide. Hydrating it converts it into calcium
hydroxide.
Slaked lime, hydrated lime or builders' lime are all synonyms for
calcium hydroxide. It is used very frequently indeed for correcting
acidity in soils, as is powdered limestone, which is calcium
carbonate.

So we are as one even though we didn't know
it lol. Merry Christmas Franz

No, we are not even. You are wrong, pure and simple.
Merry Christmas.

Franz
:
: