Old 11-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Old Codger

Jim Webster wrote:
"Old Codger" wrote in message
Jim Webster wrote:

Unfortunately for them we are now in a bigger EU, and as far as I
can make out all those doctors can come here. I can see salaries
lagging

Is that such a bad thing, salaries lagging? It seems to me that
doctoring, or GP at least, is becoming a 9 - 5 job with any overtime
paid. The local health trust has to provide the out of hours cover.
So, either NI contributions will have to increase substantially or
doctors salaries will have to be significantly reduced if "free at
the point of delivery for all" is to be sustained. In time, I can
see the status of doctors declining in the same way that the status
of teachers has declined.

I get the feeling that the politicians/NHS managers would rather like
doctors status to decline :-(

I suspect you are right.

I am reminded of Hutber's law? Improvement means deterioration.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field