Old 11-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Hydrated lime, slaked quicklime, as you say, is nasty; and there's
ordinarily no horticultural point. Garden lime in the form of ground
chalk or limestone is the one to go for: it works better for most
purposes because it's slower-acting and washes out less. Some gardens
benefit from "magnesium limestone".

Quicklime's the nasty one. Hydrated lime is slaked lime, and while it
will damage your skin if it has prolonged contact with it, (turns the
fats in it to soap) I have taken no harm by working-up lime mortar with
my bare hands - but as I said - not for a prolonged period.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/