Old 12-12-2004, 06:33 PM
len gardener

g'day chookie,

we have our first bunch of bananas starting now so i guess some time
when? we'll be able to enjoy them.

macaranga is in fruit and trying to find out how we use/eat them the
birds are getting a bit of a feed in the mean time.

still eating brassicas from last winter crops, ah nothing like eating
fresh almost sweet juicy cabbage with no chemical residues to alter
the flavour.

at present we are still trying to finish our spring slashing, and now
the summer mowing is on top of us full on after all this rain and high
humidity, grass waits for no one hey? need to start early as if there
is no cloud cover it is way too hot outside after about 8am.

got no long range plans as we are selling, but just keeping things
running and replacing the odd dead seedling tree is plenty for us
right now.

added another grass mulch swale around on the south/eastern slope to
get more water into the area below that, that's the only newish thing
we have done. everything else is the essay that as i get time and
inspiration i will add to.

stone fruit and citrus trees need pruning got no idea when we will get
around to that chore, but everything is growing well just in some
cases not fast enough but that's nature hey?

for this season we have tomatoes, capsicums, snake beans, g/russian
cuce's, choko's (regrew from last year) and peanuts growing.

just harvested all the garlic it is now drying in the house so got a
very moorish aroma and no vampires lol. saving lots for next seasons
planting want to be self sufficient in all the onion family got an
aversion to buying that chinese garlic put all our local growers out
of business up here and organic garlic growers are getting around $23
per kilo so we can't afford to buy at those prices.

got all sorts of onions: spring, potato, red shallots, tree, perennial
leeks, bunching(?), so trying to grow enough with this varieties so we
don't need to buy any or reduce the need.

the ginger, gal-n-gal and yakon are all coming back from their winter
rest. planted the native ginger the other day. the good bugs now out
weight the bad bugs on the gooseberries so they look great looking
forward to a good feed this year the missus played a big part in
picking off the naties until the goodies took over.

have fun

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.