Old 12-12-2004, 07:33 PM
paghat

In article .com,
wrote:

I have honeysuckle vines that have grown into a giant bush, interwoven
with a potato vine that has never blossomed much. I'm wondering when
the appropriate time to cut this beast back would be?

Thanks.

-F

My vining honeysuckles bloom until autumn, so get trimmed back shortly
after bloom is finished, or any time after leaf-fall, not necessarily
every year. If you have spring-blooming honeysuckles they'd be pruned
earlier, whenever there's an interuption in the flowering, or whenever the
berries shrivel or get mushy & are no longer decorative enough to be worth
delaying the pruning any longer. If pruned the "wrong" time of year that
won't do any real harm though more buds would be lost. Every few years,
the oldest woodiest of the vines should be removed to right near the
ground.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: