Old 12-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Charles Hawtrey

(Phred) wrote:

You know, I'm starting to wonder if cooler is healthier. What brought
this to mind is that the last of the Australian First World War
veterans have been dying off over the past few years, and a surprising
number of them seem to have lived in Tasmania. Given the small
population of that State I can only assume they sent off a very high
proportion of volunteers or the ones that did go went on to live a
very healthy life in our coldest State.

See
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2102rank.html

It's hard to see any obvious relation to cold or warm climates. In
the top 10 we have warm to hot climates (Macau, Singapore, Hong Kong)
and cooler ones. A quick glance suggests that a long life expectancy
is more strongly related to wealth and, perhaps, an ethnically
homogeneous population (such as Japan or Iceland).

--
Mitt huvud trillar av och det är fullt av godis.