Old 12-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Bob H

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

About 3 years ago we planted 2 honeysuckle plants/climbers into 2
planters with a trellis at the back. The first year of growth produced
an abundance of shoots and leaves with some flowers. The second year it
did not do very well at all. Not many shoots/leaves, and no flowers. So
last backend I cut both plants right back and hoped they would do better
this year, but they did not. Again like last year, no flowers and not
many shoots/leaves. Today I was about to start cutting them back again,
when I noticed some small blue berries on them, so I stopped cutting and
left them for the birds to eat.

Now then, should I have cut both plants back in the late autumn, and why
did they not do well last year. Also as this is the first time I have
seen berries on them, is this a normall thing. ie first year did well
second year no flowers, third year no flowers, but berries.
How can I get them to do well again next year? I have given them some
plant food last year, and also placed some rotted garden waste around
the base of the plants.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

You have found berries~~ these could only have been formed

after

flowering. You must have missed it!
Best Wishes Brian.

I am not bothered about the berries or so much I haver missed the
flowers?? Well one or two maybe, but my main question is, if I did not
make it understanderble, is how do I get a good growth next year?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

The problem you are having is due to the fact Honeysuckles have big root
systems and do not do well long term in containers as they quickly fill with
roots, and although feeding and mulching can help its not the same. Pruning
is a good idea what ever!
Also the sort of honeysuckle can make a difference and the one you have is
probably Lonicera japonica and is prone to sulking and leaf problems when
not happy.

OK, well its been there for 3 years now, and I expect the container is
pretty full of roots then. Its about 1mtr long by 30/35cms square, with
a ivy/vine in as well.
So how do I find out wich type of honeysuckle it is then?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK