Old 12-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Mike Lyle

Emrys Davies wrote:
"Tony Benfield" wrote in message
I have recently bought some young plants-
a Philadelphus and some Cornas Alba.

I have put them into pots temporarily, as the area that I am going
to plant them up in, won't be prepared until spring.

my question is should I leave them outside (as they are at the
moment) or should I put them into the green house for protection?

Both shrubs are classed as 'Fully Hardy' which means that they will
withstand temperatures down to -15°c (5°F).

However, the roots of your particular plants are probably quite

tender
at the moment so if the weather becomes severe it would be best if

you
placed them in the greenhouse well away from its windows and cover
them with newspaper or similar during the night.

Definitely best not to subject them to a heated greenhouse.

(Thread rebuilt)

That's sound. But I'd temporarily pop them in the ground somewhere if
there's a little room to spare, rather than leave them in pots. Less
trouble.

Mike.