Old 12-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Robert Seago

In article ,
Jim Webster wrote:

I think so, but because of market forces more than anything else.

remember that current policy is to produce at world market prices. This
means we have to get costs down to world market levels.

Jim Webster

This is the great worry. I suspect that after transport and other
overheads, a farm business in Poland or Rumania, would easily outcompete
what could be achieved here. If the rest of the world was really allowed
to compete on an equal footing, there would be many people willing to be
delighted with a fraction of the earnings of a farmer here who could
legitimately regard himself as teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

This scenario has been experienced by manufacturing, with profound results.

I'm not sure that a massive intensification here in agriculture could
reduce costs enough to compete on the world market.

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago