Old 12-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Sacha

On 12/12/04 17:41, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from
contains these words:

/quicklime/

It was used in plague pits.

Not very recently, I would venture to suggest. In 'official

circles'
the myth that it had a caustic action on bodies lasted well into

the
last century.

O. Wilde, _The Ballad of Reading Gaol_ "We could tell the work they
had been at / By the quicklime on their boots."

I wonder, though, if the plague pit theory wasn't in fact quite a
good one: the stuff is, after all, caustic, and by reacting with soil
moisture and to some extent with exposed parts of the bodies might
have provided a sort of cordon sanitaire.

Wasn't there some association with the use of lime and an infamous murderer
- Crippen, perhaps? Years ago, I remember reading a Dornford Yates novel in
which a murderer used slaked lime instead of quicklime and thus preserved
the body he had hoped to destroy, which was buried in a pit in a barn, IIRC.
I think. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk