Old 13-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Oz

Jim Webster writes

"Oz" wrote in message

I think that would be a new precedent.

It already exists for trees, hedges and now moving into permanent
grassland. I can see it being extended regularly.

Environmental Impact Assessments

Indeed, thems the words....

but economics drives that.

No. In my case a profitable dairy unit was removed due to nvz's and the
planners refusing slurry storage.

This is a major problem, that the costs of complying with these regulations
means that reintroducing livestock (at least cattle) farming on any scale
is impossible

Its interesting that the cost of the slurry store and the value of the
cows and youngstock in the herd are almost precisely the same.

The store, though, is a constant cost (management and emptying) and
provides precisely zero extra income.

It really doesn't surprise me that pig production is being exported to
places with lower environmental charges. This is, of course, pollution
exporting. Just the thing that ecofreaks get very upset about for
industrial waste import/export.

--
Oz