Old 13-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Terry Collins

NA wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:56:16 +1100, Terry Collins wrote:

NA wrote:

Need some help getting seeds for a flowering gum tree.
I have the trees but I don't know where the seed is.

Can you find a gum nut?
Well, they are in there.

That thought had occurred to me so I tried to open one up.
Not any easy task and by the time I succeeded there was
nothing that resembled seed.

You are too early.

Flower buds form.
The cap drops. Copious on some species.
The flowers appear.
The bats, bees, wasps, birds, etc, etc, visit.
The flowers disappear.
The gum nut swells as the seeds grow inside.
To me, the gum nut seems to dry out a little.
Then the gum nut opens and or goes dormant for a while.

Generally, you collect a few gum nuts and leave in a paper bag for a
while. One day you will shake it and hear a pile of seeds (widely
varying sizes) rattling around.

What you can try doing is collecting some gum nuts each fortnight, bag
them, not on the bags flowering and collection dates and watch what
happens. This way, you will be able to work out how long that species
takes to grow the seeds.

Do you know anything about which "flowering gum"