Old 13-12-2004, 09:47 PM
NA

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:00:46 +1100, Terry Collins wrote:

Generally, you collect a few gum nuts and leave in a paper bag for a
while. One day you will shake it and hear a pile of seeds (widely
varying sizes) rattling around.

I see. I collected gum nuts that had dropped so they had
probably dropped their seed.

What you can try doing is collecting some gum nuts each fortnight, bag
them, not on the bags flowering and collection dates and watch what
happens. This way, you will be able to work out how long that species
takes to grow the seeds.

That sounds straight forward.

Do you know anything about which "flowering gum"

No I don't - other than I'm interested in those with
redish flowers. I have one in my back yard and there
are many more (various types) in the neighbourhood. I
want the seed for a friend in southern Italy who has
many white flowering gums but no red ones.

There may be environmental reasons why there are no
red ones over there but the climate seems similar to what
we get in Melbourne.

Thanks.