Old 13-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Spud Demon

writes in article .com dated 10 Dec 2004 23:21:31 -0800:
I live in Seattle and have been trying to hunt down the perfect tree to
act as a privacy screen from some neighbors. About 12 - 15 ft. tall and
10 or so feet wide would be about right. Nothing has struck me as the
perfect size. Ideally I would like to be able to trim and shape it a
bit so it didn't take over the yard and something pretty would be nice.
A tree that could sit at the back of a mixed border and be prominent
but not take over the whole border. Deciduous would actually be okay if
it added structure to the garden in the winter. Any ideas?

Holly could fit your specified size and shape, if you prune the top.
And it doesn't lose its leaves in the winter.

The only drawback is that the leaves which do come down occasionally are
sharp, so you need to wear shoes when you're in that area.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.