Old 13-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Ka30P

Hi Birgitte,

Frogs die over the winter for many reasons
- they didn't get enough to eat in the fall
- they went into winter sick
- they are old and it is their time to die
- they were poisoned by herbicides or pesticides over the summer
- there is too much rotting organic matter in the pond and ice forms on top of
the pond.

Frogs who winter over in water want to be there when the temperatures drop.
Other frogs winter over under logs and leaf litter.
Each frog knows where it should be.
The only thing I could think you could do is move them to a natural pond if you
think your pond is not safe for them. However it will be very stressful for
the frog. You can try and keep them inside as pets, that would take some amount
of work and special preparations and feeding and cleaning.

You are a thoughtful ponder to be thinking of them and I hope your frogs have a
good winter's nap :-)

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog