Old 13-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Bob H

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

The problem you are having is due to the fact Honeysuckles have big root
systems and do not do well long term in containers as they quickly fill

with

roots, and although feeding and mulching can help its not the same.

Pruning

is a good idea what ever!
Also the sort of honeysuckle can make a difference and the one you have

is

probably Lonicera japonica and is prone to sulking and leaf problems

when

not happy.

OK, well its been there for 3 years now, and I expect the container is
pretty full of roots then. Its about 1mtr long by 30/35cms square, with
a ivy/vine in as well.
So how do I find out wich type of honeysuckle it is then?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Black berries, scented flowers in summer, leaves tending to stay on its a
fair bet its Lonicera japonica.

If the flowers are not scented its probably Lonicera henryi.
The third possibility is one of my favourites Lonicera simils delavyi but
that is a bit tender and very much like a large version of Lonicera
japonica.
The native honeysuckles (lonicera periclymenum) have red berries, the
Etruscan honeysuckles are orange as are many of the scented hybrids.
Personally I would change to clematis and repot every other year, or get a
much bigger container.

It had small white flowers and now has black/dark blue berries.

The idea of getting honesuckle was because as it is a climber and a
rapidish one at that, was to provide some sort of partitioning? between
us and our neighbour, as their garden is lower than ours and is on a
much less than 180 degree angle to us, as our house is on a corner.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK