Old 13-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Phil L

Franz Heymann wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: .uk...
::: Franz Heymann wrote:
::
:: You edited wrongly. I did not write any of the stuff which has
:: three colons.
:: My meagre contribution was only the bit low down with 2 colons.
:: Why do you use colons for attribution marks? They are difficult to
:: see. Have a shot at using "" like everybody else.
::

I don't like them and it was obvious that this next part was from my
keyboard.

::::::
:::::: You can use gardeners lime to make mortar.
:::::: They are both the same basic compound, except for gardens it
:::::: has been slaked and then dried, builders (who still use it)
:::::: slake their own, IE: drop it into a dustbin full of cold
:::::: water, wait until it stops boiling, then use as
:::::: normal...slaked means it has been added to water to take the
:::::: fire out of it, after this process it can be dried and doesn't
:::::: need to be slaked again before use, this is what you buy as
:::::: gardeners lime.
:::::: If you find a plasterer and ask him to save all the old plaster
:::::: rmoved from old houses (not cement) it is a mixture of sand and
:::::: lime (and horsehair)...it breaks up the soil nicely and raises
:::::: the alkalinity too.
:::::
::::: Nowadays indoor plaster is more likely to be based on calcium
::::: sulphate (gypsum) rather than calcium hydroxide or calcium
::::: carbonate.
:::::
::::: Franz
:::
::: Yes but this is unlikely to be replaced soon, if you ask a
::: plasterer to save any sand/lime chippings you will soon have a
::: few CWT for the garden...it melts if left in water for long
::: enough...the odd bit of gypsum won't do the garden any harm if
::: it's mixed in with the older stuff.
::
:: No, gypsum will not harm the garden, except that if you think
:: "liming" with gypsum will affect the pH substantially, you are
:: mistaken.
::
:: Any junk which you may get from the plaster removed in a renovating
:: job is likely to be gypsum based unless the plaster is more than
:: kalf a century old.
::
:: Franz

In which case it's not likely to be removed!...*all* plasterers know the
difference between gypsum plasters and sand/lime and would probably be happy
to get rid of it for free.