Old 14-12-2004, 03:21 AM
Michael J Conboy

In article , Brent wrote:
Ok, I have an established 45 gallon fish tank (10+ years). I have
artificial plants and would like to replace them with real ones.

So here are my 'dumb' questions:

Surf on over to www.thekrib.com and check out their planted tank section.
All your dumb questions and more will be answered Seriously, what kind
of light is over that tank? Probably not nearly enough for plants
to grow, otherwise you'll have noticed massive algae growth. You'll
likely have to upgrade, check out www.ahsupply.com for the best deal
around on light retrofit kits. What filter cleans your tank? If you have
an undergravel filter then consider taking it out (!), or if you're brave,
planting heavily and turning it off. Again, a few evenings browsing
through the Krib will explain this.

What plants should I start with?

Cheap ones! If you have a fish club or enthusiast nearby, cuttings
(weedings), can be had for free. Otherwise the krib has advice relevant
to specific tank parameters, like light, water hardness, temperature, etc.

How many plants should I put in the tank?

As many as will fit. That's where cheap plants fit into the scheme. Once
you turn on a bright light, you'll want a lot of plants to out-compete the
algae.

Will my plecos eat certain plants?

Yup.

Any other help would be appreciated

As a strategy, may I suggest a lot of reading and then re-post here with
your specific plan. My biggest mistake going from fish -only to planted
was not having modern, ie. post-internet, information.

Good luck,
Mike