Old 14-12-2004, 02:33 AM
James Aldridge

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Jim, male.

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Out in the country west of Fort Worth, Texas, USA. I grow in an 800 sq
ft greenhouse dedicated mostly to orchids with some bromeliads and
carnivorous plants thrown in. Heating by a Modine separated combustion
unit heater. Cooling with a wet wall and a couple of big Acme exhaust
fans. Automation used to be with a Wadsworth Step50, but I'm moving to
simpler single thermostats (Schaefer) for each piece of equipment. I
use an Osmonics water softener followed by a SpectraPure high pressure
RO system (350 gpd) to treat my ultra-hard well water. I inject MSU RO
fertilizer using a Dosmatic injector. Water quality and fertilizer
rates are monitored with an Omega conductivity meter.

-- What do I grow?

Very fond of cattleyas (especially mini-catts) and dendrobiums, but I
also have a lot of phalaenopsis, tolumnias, and miscellaneous genera,
including a growing array of odd botanicals (if that's not
redundant!).

-- The decade of my age?

51.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

7 years.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Finally blooming a big, beautiful _Schomburgkia_tibicinis_.

- Other stuff

I teach science and computer science at a large, independent school in
Fort Worth (grades 10-12). I am a biologist by training, with primary
interests in comparative physiology, especially sensory physiology. In
addition to growing odd plants, I bicycle, read a lot, watch a fair
amount of TV (esp. mysteries) - just got into HDTV, fly small planes,
SCUBA dive, and like to build onto my ancient and relentlessly
entropic farmhouse.

Season's greetings to all!

Jim
James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA