Old 14-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Martin Brown

Eric G wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:26:14 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

You are pretty much going to have to go in hard with systemic chemicals
if you want them all gone. And move all the infested plants well away

from the clean ones.

I've been thinking about this. Three of the six Diefenbachia that
were badly infested were in the same room but in different corners,
about 8-10 feet away from each other. In between them were smaller
plants that were also infected but not as badly.

I am not sure, but I think they can walk quite long distances. You may
also have root mealy bug which is much harder to kill and even harder to
detect until you repot the plant.

Using hydrogen peroxide with cotton swabs just isn't practical. It
takes forever just to do one plant.

Meths and a stiff brush is faster.

What are Meths and where do you buy them?
How do you go about removing them, one at a time, and wipe them on a
paper towel as you go?

Methylated alcohol (impure ethanol) used for spirit burners. It
dehyrates them on contact they are quite dead and mostly stick to the
brush. The small phial I use accumulates dead mealy bug bodies.

Regards,
Martin Brown