Old 14-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Larry Gagnon

Default Wildflower garden: how prepare for spring?

I live in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, so typical northwest mild
climate, wet winters and warm, dry summers. We just moved into a house
this April which has a large L-shaped wildflower garden in the back yard.

The wildflowers have bloomed from March-October, at least 30 species, very
nice. However, since early October they have died off, leaving stalks
(which we pulled after shaking off seeds), but now there is a mat of weeds
and fine grass growing throughout the bed, through which I do not think
some wildflowers will be able to get through in the spring.

I have consequently taken a hoe and scraped and raked the upper 1-2" of
soil, thereby loosening it and removing all the weed and grass, ensuring I
have taken as little soil and seeds out as possible.

I am unsure whether that was the right thing to do for this annuals
wildflower garden? Any other ideas appreciated.

Also, would a thin layer of leaf mulch be ok for this bed and what sort
of fertilizer shall I apply in the spring?

thanks....Larry Gagnon

--
to reply via email remove "fake"