Old 14-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Diana Kulaga

Okey dokey, here's another thumb nail sketch. Probably a good idea, Joanna,
since we get new members all the time.

Who am I? Aaarrrgghh....on which given day?!

Alright, alright, I'll be serious, and like Sue will answer for both me and
Frank.

Diana & Frank Kulaga, Port St. Lucie, FL. Diana, 61, Frank, 71, but you'd
never know it by looking at him. BTW, Frank is a 'he' and I am a 'she'.....
I am Vice President of the Port St. Lucie Orchid Society, and also director
of the display committee.

We grow outside under screening around a pool and also in an extended lanai
that we added two years ago to house the out-of-control collection that we
have been building since we bought our first two St. Rays Dends in late
1999. Ah, the age of innocence! Little did we know....

We grow Catts, Phals, Dends, Oncidiums, a few warm growing Cyms, various
intergenerics (Miltassias, etc), lots of Vandaceous plants including Angs,
and the odd variety here and there. We have finally coaxed a Cirr. to live
and thrive, Yay! Before our recent hurricanes we had about 250 orchids, but
that number shrank as rot destroyed a number of Phals and (sob) my beloved
C. harrisoniana cross. Also, after repotting, some of our intergenerics are
now in smaller pots due to pseudobulb rot, but they are alive and will be
fine.

Let's see, what else? Oh, yes, orchid achievements. Well, I've won two
awards for Best in Class, for Phal. Summer Beach and also for a wonderful
Dendrobium hybrid that we dubbed the 'Queen'. And I am especially proud that
our society has been winning display awards since I put together our team.

Recently I gave a talk on beginning orchid culture for a local garden club,
and Frank came with me. In the past, he has been quick to tell anyone who
would listen that he doesn't grow orchids, I do, and all he does is put in
watering lines and build benches. Yup, and I'm the Lone Ranger. He broke
into my talk numerous times to explain how Phals in nature grow, how it is
we that want them in pots, etc, etc. The crowd loved it, especially after he
said 'he didn't grow orchids', LOL.

Miscellaneous:

Frank is an engineer, and retired from So. NE Telephone as Manager of
Electronic Switching for Connecticut. I did motivational and sales training
along with sales management for a number of years, and for some time owned
two Century 21 franchises and a mortgage company.

Now we are not working, and I have no idea how we found the time to do so!

Happy Holidays!

Diana