Old 13-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Robert Seago

This scenario has been experienced by manufacturing, with profound

results.

It is going to be experienced by more than just agriculture, doctors,
teachers, computer software, all of these are now open to competition
from the east and the new entrants.

This is already happening. I got out of secondary school science teaching
some 8 years ago. There has been an almost total turnover of staff since
then. That department had two recent African immigrants, an Aussie, and a
range of people training on the job.

I am now teaching software development in a university joint project which
provides foundation entrance for students mostly from China, with other
Asian countries. I figure that in about 10 years when I would hope to
retire they will be training their own people. Already many of the
available doctors are from the developing world.

I'm not sure that a massive intensification here in agriculture could
reduce costs enough to compete on the world market.

Cost reduction doesn't necessarily mean intensification. The total
abandonment of any structured grazing in some parts of the UK, arable
land just standing fallow for a year because the forward price of grain
is too low to justify planting, all these are possibilities. Total
abandonment of any work on hedgerows because they are an expensive
luxury is another.

Jim Webster

I don't think I can add anything useful here, but I think I might
subscribe to uk.business.agriculture usenet. The conservation one usually
disappoints some of us. The agri discussion at least is worthwhile.
However, any posts I make are likely to sound contrary, but should not be
taken that way.

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago