Old 14-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Bob H

Sacha wrote:
On 14/12/04 11:38, in article
, "John"
wrote:

In article ,
Bob H wrote:

The idea of getting honesuckle was because as it is a climber and a
rapidish one at that, was to provide some sort of partitioning? between
us and our neighbour...

Honeysuckle is lovely, but if you want a rampant, unstoppable climber /
weaver/ rambler, get Russian Vine. Very vigorous indeed, nice dense
greenery, nice flowers late summer(?). Your neighbour would need to
keep their side well trimmed too (or you could do it for them), or
they'd find it taking over their house after a couple of years.

So rampant that it should come with a health warning. It's very tempting to
people who want a rapid result but oh, the horrors of the reality, later
and if in the wrong place.
Someone just down the lane from us had planted 3 of these things on one
shortish fence - and no, they did NOT come to us for them! I can't begin
to describe what it was like until they yanked two of them out. The sole
survivor is threatening to eat their house and that of their neighbours,
too.
I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone just to cover a fence and
especially not someone who has neighbours! My neighbours in a previous
house planted one and it 'ate' my Albertine rose and Clematis montana
every year without fail, ruining their flowers. Vile thing!
Although it isn't a climber, I have found some types of Ceanothus to grow
quickly and do a great job of concealing things. IIRC, the one I had that
did this was 'Italian Skies'. And a very good and IME, quick climber in a
sunny place, is Solanum.

We do have a Russian Vine and I know it does grow *very* well. We have
it on a trellis on the edge of our patio; that should be it grows along
a trellis from about 3ft below. The idea is that it provides a noticble
edge of an otherwise open edged patio, which has a drop of over 2ft.
This year we have noticed that it has done particularly well after
cutting back last backend. It has not flowered in the 3 years we have
had it, but the leaves are a very nice autumny/dark red colour.

Thanks for the advice, no I would not place it between myself and my
neighbours, and will look for what you have advised.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK