Old 12-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Vicky Estrella

In a message dated 12/11/2004 8:55:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

In colder areas
the Chinese Elms will be deciduous (lose their leaves in winter) but in
warmer
areas, such as Florida some will hold their leaves all year.

I'm glad you raised that point. I live in Southern California, and I have
some elms, as well as liquidambar, that will do just that. Many books state that
they need the cold, and a dormant period to rest, and one should defoliate if
they do not drop by late autumn. On the few occassions that I have removed
leaves, they come right back. At any rate, the trees do just fine without this
dormant period.
Do you think that perhaps these warm climate elms have adapted and no longer
require the dormant period? What is the prevailing wisdom?
Thanks,
Vicky

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --