Old 12-12-2004, 06:52 PM
simy1

My side wrote:
Finally found a source of seed tubers for Jerusalem Artichokes and

planted
them in a raised bed. The stalks grew 10' - 12' high with 1 1/2 "
diameter. Tying them to the deck prevented them from being blown

over.

I have now chopped down the stalks and the ground in the area is full

of
good sized tubers. Now I need to know:
1. Do I have to dig up all the tubers.
2. How to store some for replanting next spring.

I live in Vancouver BC where frost is not guaranteed. Will this

make a
difference in the methods of harvesting and/or storing?

Thanks.

Since you have already been told to leave some of the smaller ones in
the ground for next year, the best way to prepare them is roasted in
the oven with some herbs. simple preparation, and they taste better
than potatoes. they won't last long in the fridge. I usually dig them
and eat them within a day. I do the same for potatoes except that when
the ground freezes (Dec. 15) I have to lift everything out.