Old 15-12-2004, 09:42 PM
SugarChile

Worry not, muscari are infamous for doing this. I would find it unusual if
they did NOT emerge in fall. They are always just fine come spring here in
zone 6, and I suspect they will be ok for you as well. At worst the foliage
will look a bit ratty, but the blooms will be ok.

Do you have reliable snow cover over the winter? Ours is sporadic; bare
ground and very low temperatures are tough on plants, but snow cover is like
an insulating blanket.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"Joe" wrote in message
I live in Zone 3A and have a mixed rose border with lots of bulbs in it. I
applied a heavy mulch of leaves over my bulbs a good while after
freeze-up.
This is the third year I do this mulching.

Now I looked under and lots of Muscari are poking up. Oh dear. There
must
have been more heat still trapped in there than I thought.

What's odd is I thought this growth could not happen without a good hard
cold dormancy period. My tulips, narcissi and everything else are not
coming up. I certainly can't save the muscari from the rest of winter.
So
I just put the leaves back.