Old 16-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Warren

paghat wrote:

Unlike the majority of grape hyacinths, Muscari botryoides as a rule
produces autumn grass, though it blooms in spring the same time as
other
species. Having never gardened in a really cold place, I dunno if the
muscari grass will thrive in zone 3A, though I'd think it'd be done in
by
a good freeze, unlike my zone 8 where it stays lovely & nice all
winter
long.

Last winter was the worst winter in years here. We had a great number of
nights below freezing, numerous days below freezing, and even a three
day stretch below zero. My Muscari foliage was even encased in ice. They
bloomed just fine when spring came.

I can't say the same for the buddleia next to them that became so
weighted-down with ice that the trunk split. I didn't think anything
short of digging it out of the ground would kill it, but Ma Nature
proved me wrong on that one!

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Black & Decker Landscaping Tools:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker