Old 16-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Tony Crabtree" wrote in message
news:Rhutd.180$Ya4.133@edtnps84...
Hi, I have a small (100 gallon} pond with a few Koi. During the summer

good
shade cover was obtained from water lilies and aggressive water hyacinths
which was allowed to cover 2/3rd's of the pond. Now that the weather has
turned cold the plants are dying and leaves are going black. Should I
remove these dying plants or leave them to cover the fish through the

winter
months when it could ice over?? Will the decay jeopardize the water
quality? Can anyone tell me the consequences or make recommendations.
Thanks Tony

I always dead and dieing plant matter during the growing season. I have
never had a fish problem from rotting plants, but letting them rot can be a
huge maintenance item, so it's best to clean them as they go.

In the fall, I tend to scoop out all of my floating plants and then just let
the other lie. They die, and sinkt to the bottom where the frogs, and other
critters use the gunk for protection. I scoop it out in the Spring.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com