Old 13-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Janet Price

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Janet Price and I'm a woman.

Where am I? Where do I grow?

I live in Amherst MA and have fluorescent light fixtures in both
bedrooms and on the second floor and an HID system on the second floor.
Blooming plants come down to the living room. Everything goes outside
onto my deck under burlap in the summer.

What do I grow?

A mix of orchids, but nothing too tall and nothing too small. I
probably have somewhat over a hundred plants. I also have a few dozen
plants of a cross I made a few years ago. I've just made a sib cross
and a selfing of two of them and the pollinations seems to have taken
since pods are forming.

I have been migrating to the semi-hydroponic pots over the last couple
of years and it seems to be working well for me.

The decade of my age?

I'm in my 60s.

How long have I been growing orchids?

Probably about 10 years. My sister gave me a cattleya for my birthday.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

I'm pleased at having made a cross, sent it to a flasking service, and
grew a few dozen of the plants to blooming. I'd have many more, but got
hit with a black rot the end of last summer. Didn't realize what it was
until it had spread some.

Miscellaneous Info...

I work full time in computer support and will probably continue to work
fulltime for a few more years, given the state of our economy and its
likely future. I also like cooking--and eating, gardening,
pottery--have a wheel and kiln, and knitting.