Old 14-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Galeottia

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and might as well introduce myself:

Karen, female, 44, single, living in a flat near the centre of Copenhagen,
Denmark.

I grow in 2 of my windowsills (SW) and on 2 low room-dividers placed at
right angles to the windows, one of them between the windows, one of them
beside the biggest window. There are also about 10 pots hanging from the
ceiling in front of the biggest window. In the summer I use very thin blinds
to avoid scorching, in the dark part of the year I use artificial lights. I
grow in Green Mix and have many of my pots placed on pebbles in Zink trays
containing a little water to improve humidity.

I have been growing since May 2003, and my collection consists mostly of two
bigger groups: Cattleya, Blc, Encyclia, Epidendrum, Brassavola and
Bifrenaria, Pescatorea, Zygopetalum, Galeottia etc. - I hope soon to get a
couple of Bolleas as well for the second group.

Then I also have some Oncidiinae (Onc, Milt etc) and some mixed stuff: a
couple of Bulbos, Dends, Angraecums, Maxillarias, Lycastes and Cycs, in all
about 85.

My biggest orchid accomplishment must be that I have succeded in making
myself give away in all about 30 orchids I realized I didn't really, really
want, when comparing them to some new possibilities. Having now found out
what I prefer: Laeliinae, Zygopetaliinae and Bifrenariinae, I have decided
that since my space is so limited, I can only keep the ones that I really
love..and each time I am tempted to buy something new, I must give away
something.

Being so new at growing orchids, I also see it as an accomplishment that
some (not all!) of the ones I bought last year have been reblooming - a
couple of them several times.

I hope in a couple of years to be able to try some hybridizing.

I have been reading your posts for a couple of weeks and am impressed that
people here are all so nice and helpful.

I look forward to be here and talk to you!

Best

Karen