Old 18-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Dave Sheehy

J Fortuna ) wrote:
: What do you think? I think it's been a while since we have all introduced
: ourselves to each other here on rgo. There was the exchange of photos of
: ourselves on abpo in August-September, but unless I have missed it, I think
: the last time we had a "Who We Are" thread on rgo was in January-February,
: and I know we have newcomers (including new regulars) since then (and maybe
: some lurkers will de-lurk like they did the last time for this thread?).

: If you are a newcomers, or if you did not respond the last time, or if your
: answers to "What do I grow?" or "Where do I grow?" or "biggest orchid
: accomplishments" have changed quite a bit in the meantime, please please
: respond!

: Even if you have responded before, here are a few reasons for you to reply
: again: newcomers may not know you yet, not everyone searches the archives
: and even if they did this kind of thread is not as easy to find since the
: title contains only common search words and newcomers won't know which terms
: to use to search for this, and Groups Google is in the process of changing
: their site and thus I am not sure how safe it is to post links to old
: messages and threads.

: In November 2001 Kye posted a message containing a set of questions to
: encourage fellow rgo'ers to introduce themselves. I think that this is worth
: doing on a regular basis. So here are Kye's questions with my revised
: answers:
: ---------------------------------------------------------

: -- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Dave Sheehy, male.

: -- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Rocklin, California (Sacramento area). My orchids are in east and north
windowsills with no supplemental lighting. I also have some Cymbidiums
on the front porch (a couple of the Dendrobiums are out there right now
as well getting the requisite winter chill). I have taken to hanging a
number of orchids in the windows as all sill space has been consumed.

: -- What do I grow?

I think Sue said it best, whatever catches my eye, and I have a pretty
diverse eye. I have several Vanda related plants (Vanda, Ascda, Vascostylus),
several Catt Alliance (including a Brassia verrucosa and a Laelia lucusiana),
several Phals, an assortment of Dendrobium species and hybrids, a couple of
Encyclias (that have yet to bloom for me), a couple of Cirrhopetalum spp.,
several Oncidium/intergenerics (many recently acquired), and an Aerangis
luteoalba. Oh yeah, and those Cymbidiums out on the porch (I always forget
about those guys).

: -- The decade of my age?

I am 47.

: -- How long have I been growing orchids?

I started sometime in the early 80's, I forget exactly when. The first 10
years were pretty lackluster and I did little more than keep a few alive
and killed the rest. Once I got into a house that wasn't so dark my success
rate and interest grew (funny how those two things seem to be related :-) ).
I still have a couple of orchids from those dim times, a Vanda that I bought
in a 1" pot at Kmart, and a Cattleya that a friend coerced me into buying at
a UC Davis arboretum sale.

: -- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

My Dendrobium hercoglossum bloomed this year for the 1st time (an Andy's
orchid on a stick hanging in the window). I'm particularly proud of my
Aerangis luteoalbo because it is not just growing in somewhat lower humidity
than it would like but it's bloomed 2 years running and should be spiking
in the next month or so.

In the mixed success category my Dendrobium phaelenopsis and glomeratum
bloomed last year but not this year. I'm not sure what's up with that. One
of my Cirrhopetalums spiked this year but the bud blasted. I had fertilized
two days before so perhaps I shocked it.

: -- Miscellaneous Info...

I'm an R&D engineer working on computer storage protocol controllers. My
other hobby is sal****er aquariums and I have 4 aquariums in the house.
I'm married and have 2 kids, a girl and boy. I'm not affiliated with any
orchid club but there are 2 in my area and I attended one meeting (the
topic was about Paphs which for the most part I have no interest in).