Old 18-12-2004, 03:08 PM

still deep water is going to go anaerobic. if there is light there will be
significant algae. bacteria is everywhere. if everything except bacteria were gone
we would see the outline of everything on earth.
drop in a couple good sized airstones and a pump and move that water and it will
clear. Ingrid

"Copepod" wrote:

Problem with turbidity in a wild life pond. No fish, not even small ones,
are in the pond.

I have been monitoring the microscopic life over the last few years and have
been very disappointed over the last 6-9 months as the water has become very
turbid due to the presence of bacteria. I am unable to tell which as they
are two small to see even under x1000 oi examination. The bacteria are
suspended in the water at most depths and are separate and spherical rather
than in strings.

The pond is not overhung by trees and so decaying leaves have probably not
caused the problem.

Any ideas as to how the bacteria are doing so well?

To sum up: no fish polluting water;
no decaying leaves;
very little of interest to see apart from bacteriophages
such as Vorticella.

Any suggestions please?

Robert

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List