Old 19-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Glen Able

Default Planting near drains

Hello all,

I feel like a chump for not knowing this, but how careful do you have to be
planting near drains?

I'm starting to make some plans for the front garden, which is currently 22
feet square of gravel. I want a nice informal hedge down one side, but the
neighbour's drain runs right next to the boundary. Is it just trees that're
a problem, or would it be unsafe to plant medium-sized shrubs along there?

Also, I was hoping to put in something (not sure what) big at the front, in
the middle - which'd be about 10 feet from the neighbour's drain and 10 feet
from mine. Any idea what sort of size limit I should be thinking of for
this spot?

Thanks for any advice - I would have googled for this, but using 'drains' as
a query word is hopeless because of all the references to things like 'soil
that drains well'.

cheers,
G.A.