Old 19-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Glenna Rose

writes:

It will die back from a hard freeze but we got down to about 28dF a while
back
and it's still going. We've had it for about 3 yrs. and it has weathered
days
over 105.

Also puts on a very pretty show of deep yellow flowers.

I *love* the fennel. Not only do we get the fennel "leaves" for cooking,
but the flowers are lovely *and* the fennel seeds at the end of the
season! We have a flock of small birds (bushtits, perhaps) that
absolutely love the seeds and surround it when the seeds are abundant. My
oldest granddaughter's favorite plant in the garden is the fennel. The
plant I planted in 2000 grows to over seven feet tall each year and, of
course, has lots of babies. If one wants a really healthy breakfast, cook
oat bran cereal with fennel. Boil the fennel "branches" in the water
(adding it to the cold water) before adding the oat bran. Serve with skim
milk. Before serving, you might want to remove the fennel (easy to do if
it is left in one piece). It sweetens the cereal so there is no need to
add any other sweetener, and leaves no other obvious flavor except the
sweetness. Served with skim milk, it's totally healthy.

Delaina (granddaughter) has identified the fennel since she was two years
old. She'll be six next month and still heads for the fennel plant as
soon she goes to the backyard. Stevia is her second choice, chocolate
peppermint the third. Last summer, that five-year-old, tired of being
told to go rinse the leaves before she ate them, took the garden hose over
to the Stevia plant and sprayed the entire plant! Fennel is definitely
her most favorite. Sometimes I wonder if it's because it's the one she
has always been able to identify *and* eat.

One of these days, I'll get around to digging up a plant and cooking the
root. g

Here in the U.S. Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon, area), it survives
the relatively mild winters very well, including our more unusual winter
this past year. It also is a good "lacy" addition to bouquets, and
especially so if you want to give someone an herb bouquet. Rosemary goes
well in such arrangements as well.

Fennel is a joy to grow even if you only like to look at it.

Glenna