Old 19-12-2004, 09:25 PM
nzlstar

i bought a pomegranate in feb last year, planted about 18 seeds in pots.
about 2/3 of those germinated.
i was too late in the summer planting them but 3 did make it thru the winter
here.
now all three are about 10" tall, hopefully they'll be a decent size and get
thru one more long winter, hopefully i'll get some flowers on them next year
and fruit. i'm not sure how big the bush needs to be to flower though.
oh well. tis fun trying.
my mom had three huuuuuuuge pomegranate bushes she grew from seed while
living in the east San Francisco bay area. they grew some beautiful big
fruit as well. they make great addition to salads for colour, texture and
zing of flavour. they also make great jelly for your toast.
she also had a 15 ft + tall avocado she grew from seed. admittedly the fruit
was what i think is called fingerlings as they are more long skinny than
roundish but they still tasted great, so who cares the shape.
i just got bought another pomegranate to try some more seeds. i want my
small garden covered with lots of these big bushes. no one here grows them
commercially that i'm aware of but i'd be happy to supply restaurants with
homegrown ones. this one piece of fruit (from california btw) cost nearly
NZ$2. i could have a small second income if i can get enough bushes well
established. the flowers make a lovely addition to the garden as well.

i've got one coffee plant that just this past month flower'd. i'm waiting to
see if those become beans. ok ok, so two flowers/beans wont make me one
cuppa but i'm in hope it will produce a few more next year.
ya gotta start somewhere, eh.
jeanne

"Witchy Mama" wrote...

just wondering, can I save the seeds from fruit and veg that I have
bought at the supermarket, so I can plant them next year? and how would
I do it? I figured if it could be done, I might as well get some use out
of them other then just eating :P

Witchy Mama