Old 20-12-2004, 07:23 AM
jane

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:54:19 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

~In article , Stuart
writes
~Hi everyone,
~
~I'm planning to grow carrots in pots this spring, but I'm not sure of the
~best medium to grow them in. Is it safe to use normal multi purpose compost,
~or will this cause them to fork?
~
~Add about 20% sharp sand to the compost before using it. Carrots need
~more pot room than may be thought, particularly in height. It may be
~worth you considering growing them in tubes or pipes rather than
~standard shaped pots for that reason.
~--
~Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

I have had phenomenal results with carrots this year in my incredibly
stony soil simply by carving out a rather experimental 6" trench with
a thin trowel and filling it with cheap multipurpose compost, watering
it and sowing the carrots on that. Got perfect roots (give or take the
odd carrot fly) and the control row, 6" away and in the normal soil is
almost unusable except whole in stews. I didn't notice forking in the
compost row (but compared with the soil, I probably wouldn't!!).

My biggest root was 7" long and about 2" in diameter, and dead
straight.

Yes sand would probably help in pots as you have more control over it
all. I'd just say sieve the compost if you can. Just don't forget to
cover the seedlings with fleece or mesh or net curtain and make sure
there are no gaps near the ground or you'll get carrot fly.

--
jane

Mark Twain