Old 20-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Nancy G.

Hi, my name obviously is Nancy. I am retired military and rapidly
approaching the big 50. I've posted here a few times with questions.
I bought my first orchid in 1997 at an orchid show in Huntsville, AL.
The show had a big banner and I stopped out of curiousity. Funny, I
bought a paph seedling that lived for a few years, just long enough to
give me the orchid bug.

Fortunately or not, Huntsville had a reasonably decent orchid society.
I bought some divisions and seedlings, and won a few of the ticket
drawings at the meetings. The meetings were lively and interesting,
show and tell was challenging, and the shows were an inspiration.
After moving to Missouri, I've missed my "support group".

Most of the orchids I have were on the cheap (rescued from retailers,
thrift stores, seedlings, back bulb divisions, and grab bag assortments
from online venders). Sounds tacky here and now, but until '02, I was
never sure when I'd have to pack my duffle and abandon everything
(again) for another overseas asssignment.

Having orchids and tropicals has turned into the $10,000 dog I had. He
wasn't valuable but he did that much damage. Last year I added a grow
room to the house, in the spring when I started transplanting, the new
pots and medium cost nearly as much as my expenditures for the orchids.
I am trying some S/H and CHC in clear pots.

It is always exciting when any of my orchids bloom. I've had no luck
so far with a Den. loddigessii, but am trying a cooler and dryer rest.
That's my chief aim now, get that rascal to bloom. The vanda's I
bought bare root for $5 finally bloomed after 5 years, of course they
were small and I have high hopes. Now if I can only keep the ants away
from the rubber trees.

Best wishes, and happy holidays

Nancy