Old 17-12-2004, 11:37 PM
San Diego Joe

"ClaudCar" wrote:

Since we don't freeze . . . we can still "talk". How do I know if my fish
are "hibernating" in their cave (under waterfall) or became egret food?
Babies haven't been seen since TDay, but the biggers were around till they
got spooked by the egret and for sure lost 2 to it. The others have hidden
since the Santa Ana's started and string algae is NOT growing so ASS U ME
the water is cold now. What should I do with their food - is it OK to leave
in dark cupboard or freeze till they unhibernate?

One of my pleichotis did die, can't tell why - may be cold - looked recent,
no decomposition.

Should I strip the dead leaves off the WH? and then do I just leave them in
the upper WF basin?
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus

Hi Caludia,

Your fish will be active all winter. Don't feed them after your water temp
hits about 55. They will act like they want some, but it's best they don't
have it - cold water digestive problems. I just leave my WH and ship some in
spring to ponders in colder regions.

You might consider a scarecrow motion activated sprinkler to help keep your
bird away from your fish.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.