Old 21-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Eric G

On 20 Dec 2004 08:15:42 GMT, Peter wrote:
Methyl hydrate is not the same as meths. It is sold as a paint stripper,
but otherwise its more usual name is wood spirit or methanol. It's pretty
nasty stuff and I don't think it will do your plants much good.

"Meths", on the other hand, is 95% pure ethanol (grain spirit), to which
chemicals have been added to make it unpalatable, to avoid tax on booze -
that is why meths, which would otherwise be taxed at twice the rate of
vodka, is so cheap. The main additive is methanol, hence the name
"methylated" sprirt.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Thanks Peter and Anton.
I'm glad I checked with you folks before applying any methyl hydrate.
I will search more thoroughly now for meth spirits. The methyl hydrate
is pretty cheap, I hope the spirits are too (meth spirits that is).

Eric