Old 21-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
I would do a search for the Nitrogen Cycle, which essentially developing
adequate bacteria to rid your water of the ammonia the fish produce.

snip

And by a serendipidous aligning of the planets, I have just published an
article to our site about this. What a great coincidence.

Ammonia
by Ruth Francis-Floyd and Craig Watson

Ammonia is a major metabolic waste product from fish. It is excreted across
the gill membranes and in the urine. The primary source of ammonia in
aquaculture systems is fish feed. When feed is eaten by fish it is
metabolized into the energy, nutrients, and proteins used for survival and
growth. As with all animals, there is waste produced by these normal
metabolic processes. Ammonia is the principal waste product excreted by
fish. In trace amounts, ammonia is odorless and colorless, so the only way
for an aquaculturist to know if it is there is to test the water.

http://www.iheartmypond.com/topic.asp?article=99735

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com