Old 21-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Benign Vanilla

"tg" wrote in message
I have about a 75 foot stream in my yard that is about 3 feet wide and

6-12
inches deep at the center. I am using a Sequence 5800gph pump in

combination
with a Savio skimmer. I want to try to keep it running as long as possible
this winter. We have already had temps below 10 degrees (in Kentucky) and

it
has skimmed over in ice with the water running well underneath. It starts

in
a waterfall and I too has iced on the edges, but the flow is enough to

keep
it open. I want to know if I should remove the filter pad from the skimmer
or leave it in and if it would be advantageous to add a stock tank heater

in
the skimmer box near the pump intake? Any ideas?

Tim, if a hard freeze is possible in your area, I'd be wary of running the
water features all winter. Ice can build up over time on your waterfall and
stream, and if left to grow, the ice can redirect the water out of the pond.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com