Old 21-12-2004, 10:54 PM
dd

In article gDLxd.2347$_62.1395@trnddc01, J Fortuna
wrote:

Ah yes, the trading would be fun for me, although I am already actively
promoting the habit in others by buying orchids as presents a lot, and
introducing others to the hobby. It's fun, and none of the orchids that I
buy for others "count", and still I get the enjoyment of acquiring the
plant, and maybe having it around for at least a few hours or a few days
before handing it over to the gift recipient.

I've also tried to share my hobby with friends. The funny thing is that
those who become most interested in orchids are NOT gardeners.
Someone I know who is a master gardener has blown them off as a bother.
Similarly, some "houseplant people" are just not very interested. I'm
not sure why that is.

On the other hand, some non-plant people become captivated by orchids.
These people are usually very intelligent (but not necessarily highly
educated), detail oriented, analytical, and interested in the arts. Of
course, when they get "turned on" to orchids, they will pester you to
no end with questions but will resist joining an orchid society...