Old 22-12-2004, 05:35 AM
Richard

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Richard, male

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska - 9 hours from Chicago going west on I-80, 9
hours east of Denver going east on I-80. Member of the Lincoln Orchid
Society.
I grow in the house (kitchen, south facing window with semi-diffused light
before it gets in the house) during the year, in the summer most of my
plants get set out on the north side of the house.

-- What do I grow?

Mostly phals and cattleya hybrids, some paphs, phrags, and small vandaceous
hybrids. And the occasional various species. The number was up to 80 at one
time, a real bad scale infestation followed by rot dropped it down to
around 30, now back up to the 40s.

-- The decade of my age?

Since I am in my early 40s, I am in my 5th decade (1st decade 0 - 9, 2nd
decade 10 - 19, etc.)

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

I was growing plants since I was a boy, long before I got interested in
orchids. I purchased my first orchids in 1994, I believe. They died before
the end of the first year, due to a combination of a paranoid roommate
(kept closing the window curtains and shutting off the lights), not enough
water, and poor selection (Miltoniopsis hybrids do not do well in Nebraska
summers). Waited another 4 years before I bought my next plants (an orchid
growing co-worker convinced me to go in on an internet purchase with him, I
got a $4 Lc. Stephen O Fouraker - the shipping charges were more than the
plant! But it's still growing...)

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Not killing off every plant I own - although for a few of them, I'm on the
3rd try. Blooming my first phalaenopsis seedling, and my first Ascocenda.
FINALLY getting a plant to bloom at the right time for displaying in the
LOS display at the Greater Omaha Orchid Society Show in February.

-- Miscellaneous Info...

Partner who tolerates my hobby, especially the talk about getting a
greenhouse someday. Three cats (was four, but one laid to rest earlier this
month) who have exquisite taste in orchids, or is that who taste my
exquisite orchids? I'm constantly reminding them that the growing area
isn't a salad bar.