Old 22-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Pam - gardengal

"HPBudlong" wrote in message
I was checking into using "water crystals" in my organic garden because

being
in Zone 9, we need to retain as much moisture as possible in the soil.

A British company suggested that I use "Seaweed meal", i.e. ground up

seaweed,
as this would help retain water in the soil. I see this is being used a

lot on
England, but can only find liquid seaweed or kelp here.

Does anyone here have any experience with this stuff? Where can I get some

in
the US, prefereably Los Angeles area.
Helen

Whitney Farms is a West Coast producer of organic soil amendments and
fertilizers and they carry a kelp meal (not a liquid product). The link will
give you a whole slew of California locations that carry their products.
http://www.whitneyfarms.com/buy/pdfs...California.pdf

I would say that Travis is on the right track, though. Additions of good
compost or other quality organic matter will provide as much, if not more,
water retention capacity to soils as would kelp or seaweed meal and is a lot
cheaper and easier to use in quantity. Doesn't have to be your own if you
don't have it - any good quality bagged or commercial compost will work just
as well.

You could also take a winter time drive to the beach for a little seaweed
harvest of your own. It tends to be very plentiful in winter. Just gather it
up, rinse it off well and hang it to dry. Once dry, you can grind or
otherwise chop it up and include it with your other soil amendments. I find
southern California beaches to be very pleasant at this time of year :-)

pam - gardengal