Old 23-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Klara

In message , Alan Gould
writes
Yes, February 14th. could be described as middle of winter in UK, and a
good time to think about getting things started up in the garden.
Winter 'officially' begins on December 21st, the Winter Solstice and
ends on March 21st, the Spring or Vernal Equinox. At the Equinox,
either Spring or Autumn, hours of daylight and darkness are equal, thus
of importance to gardeners and their plants.

Valentines Day also happens to be the anniversary of our wedding in
1953. It represents the start of a new marital year to us as well as a
new growing season, a sort of double celebration!

Ah, you see, we were married on January 9th, so my Valentine's Day is
early!

But having spent my early years in New York, where all was frozen with
not a leaf in sight until March/April (though I did love the sunny,
bright, cold, snowy winters there), for me every year the English spring
is pure magic - as is the fact of winter-flowering cherries, winter
jasmine, and all the many signs of life all winter long.

On the other hand, I've been away from New York for 30 years now; for
all I know, spring comes much earlier there too these days....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin