Old 24-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
On 12/22/04 2:04 PM, in article

,
" wrote:
Thanks very much Martin and Jenny!
Now I'm starting to hear more familiar words (denatured alcohol).

Eric

Does Rubbing Alcohol ring a bell? Diluted 1:1 in a spray

bottle. Very
effective on cactus plants...I understand. And does not hurt them.

Other
plants I'm not certain...I would personally try it.
I would not have thrown out those plants that you did but then

I am a
person that has faith in the ability of plants to recover...
You could just pick off the singletons that you see in the

future.
How did those first plants get so badly infected? Were you out

playing
golf?
I was introduced to my first Mealybug just the other day. I

had seen
'them' before but didn't know what it/they were called. We just

picked it
off and then I was introduced to Rubbing Alcohol (1:1) in a spray
bottle..."it does not hurt the plants" I was told.
Bill

Mind your eyes if you spray that stuff - rubbing alcohol is

isopropanol.
It is a powerful eye irritant and a fire risk. Some commercial
formulations using it have been withdrawn for that reason.

IPA isn't approved for Organic(TM) use AFAIK.

Oh dear. How unfortunate for them..

Franz