Old 25-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Jim Carlock

Thanks for the replies and comments. I look forward
to more!

I've found an interesting page describing radishes.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/R/raph_sat.cfm

It identifies the radish as the most widely grown crop
in Japan, that radishes contain large amounts of diatase
which aids in the digestion of starches.

It also mentions that certain radishes grow to 60 pounds.
Fascinating!

Some radishes require a temp of 45 or lower before
seed pods form. So I'm not sure that these will grow
seed pods here in Tampa, Florida, where the average
annual temperature is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

That page indicates that radishes originated from charlock
which is grown in Europe and the UK, but then mentions
that Egyptians grew radish 3000 years before Christ. I
couldn't find any other references to an earlier use of the
crop. So I'm not sure what to make of that.

Found references to Athenians using radishes as
punishment for adultery... and references to Confucious
eating radishes.

Thanks and happy holidays!

--
Jim Carlock